Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pim's Cheesecake in a Jar

Last week, I ran into about 3 easy cheesecake recipes so I had to try one.  I chose Pim's Pumpkin Cheesecake in a Jar (see here)-- mostly because I still had lots of fresh pumpkin puree left over from my CSA share pumpkin.

This recipe's a keeper.  Even with the numerous substitutions I ended up making (when do I ever follow the rules?)  I didn't have any pretty glasses like Pim's (I'll be on the lookout for some) but I had the rest of the ingredients... except the gingersnaps.  I substituted some roasted pecans and some granola for the gingersnaps.  My bottom crust was a bit chewy but the granola flavoring was quite nice.  I'd use it again in another variation of this recipe.  Also, my food processor isn't as big as needed.  I didn't figure this out until I got to the third block of cream cheese.  So I just spooned out some of the liquid into a bowl, finished up the rest, then mixed it all back together with a spoon.

Pretty much a four step recipe: gather ingredients, pour into processor & whir, pour into cups (or press down, in the case of the crust), and bake.  The taste is creamy, thick cheesecake.  It does taste better after its been thoroughly cooled in the refrigerator.  I think it would be easy enough to substitute other flavorings for the pumpkin.  In the future, I might try it with a hint of vanilla flavoring and an oreo crust, or even plain with a graham cracker crust adding a little extra sour cream to make up for the pumpkin purée and to add a little more "sour" flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment