Friday, December 24, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie: Leek & Potato Soup

Very easy soup to make.  I followed the recipe exactly (for a change).  It does need generous salting, though I let my guests decide on the last salting on their own.  I was surprised, though, that the soup was relatively thin.  Though this might be preferable for the chilled version, I think the hot soup would be better thicker.  I'll make this again, following some of the other FFwD ideas such as adding ham, cheese or other add-ins on the second day to give a bit more variety.

As for Marie-Hélène's apple cake, it's great with the coconut rum!  In fact, I'd like to do it again with a little bit of toasted coconut on top.  It might even be good with a bit of pineapple, too.  I'm making it again for Christmas!  I found it interesting to look at the photos of the other FFwD cakes (in November):  many people cut the apples into cubes.  I cut the apples into thin slices about an inch long, using the photo on page 431 as my reference.  Once I find the cord to download my photos, I'll have to try and get a photo:  it has a completely different look!  (BTW being able to see photos of others' results is very reassuring!)

Finally, a note on the Sweet & Spicy nuts.  I sent my brother a bowl of them and he called to thank me-- the kids had to grab it away from him to try it themselves!  Thanks, Dorie!

5 comments:

  1. I agree that the soup needed generous salting. I used a food mill to process about 1/4 of the soup and this added some texture and thickness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used two potatoes in my soup and liked the consistency! Nice idea to cut your apples in slices...I've made this cake 5 times now with the coconut rum. Maybe I'll have to try a little coconut too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a good month for Dorie recipes! I like the reassurance that others' posts give, too. Also, all the wonderful variations and presentations I see each week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - it is very helpful to see how others made something so you don't feel like you just cooked something from another planet.

    Good luck finding your cord!

    ReplyDelete