Friday, December 17, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie: Sweet & Spicy Cocktail Nuts

Actually, I made these nuts last week... but I'm posting today (it's Friday) so I think that counts, right?  Very easy recipe.  I bought roasted & lightly salted cashews and almonds from Trader Joe's.  Since they were already salted, I didn't add salt to the recipe, though I think when I make batch #2 this weekend (with some pecans this time as well as the others), I might add about 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon.  Will also add just a bit more cayenne pepper.  I was worried that it would be too much of a kick but it just wasn't enough.

I made the double batch last time and there was enough egg white left to do more nuts so will use 3 bags of nuts this time.  I don't have the patience to wipe off each nut.  I did my best while putting them on the tray then also rubbed off the extra after they cooled.  They looked very pretty in clear plastic bags with ribbons to give away as gifts... if we hadn't eaten so many of them ourselves!

It didn't really feel like cooking... it was very, very easy.  But also very very tasty.  They sell a sweet & salty pecan mix at Trader Joe's for $4.39 for 6 oz.  This is better and with lots more nuts!

Tonight I have some friends coming over for a light supper so I'm going to try the soup.  I also made last month's Marie-Hélène's apple cake ... with coconut rum because I didn't check to make sure I have dark rum and with a bundt springform pan because I don't have a plain one.  It looks pretty (I cooked it for about 45 minutes); I'll let you know how it tastes next time!

3 comments:

  1. Your nuts look great! I agree they need double the cayenne...but oh so tasty! I made my apple cake (4 times) with coconut rum and it was a hit each time. Hope it was at your house too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steph, for your comments! The coconut rum was great! I think I may try sprinkling a little toasted coconut and macademia nuts on the top of the cake, too. My guests loved the flavor (and I did, too).

    ReplyDelete