Sunday, December 26, 2010

FFwD: Getting to Know You Meme


Name:  Terri; Pseudonym "Aubepine" comes from the Proust novel, Remembrance of Things Past that I studied for my dissertation where one path (Guermantes) led towards society & sophistication and the other path, bordered by the hawthorn blossoms ("aubepines") led to the country & simpler pleasures.
Hometown:  My dad was in the Air Force so I grew up all over.
Current town:  Redlands, California (since 1995).  
How you pay the bills:  Online
How many in your household?  2:  my mom moved in with me after my father passed away in 2005
What is your favorite comfort food?  Cookies.
Favorite dessert to whip up at midnight?  I'm more likely to nosh on whatever's in the fridge or cupboard than to make something, but that might change after a few more months cooking with Dorie!
The best restaurant you have ever been to? (and what did you have?)  I've been lucky enough to have visited many extraordinary restaurants.  For my farewell from Paris, my French family took me to an amazing restaurant in the Parc Montsouris where I had an hachis parmentier made with foie gras and truffles.  Another amazing meal was at Elizabeth on 37th in Savannah, Georgia where I had a pecan crusted trout.  In Carmel, California, I love Casanova Restaurant.  I've had several fabulous meals there.  Again in Paris, the Atelier Maître Albert has the most amazing cantaloupe soup-- perfect for a hot day.  There are more restaurants but what made each special was sharing it with friends.
Worst habit or vice?  Inability to form habits... especially the ones that are good for you.
If you were a biscuit, which would you be? A scone.
What is your mother’s best dish?  Meatloaf.  It was a special dish when we were growing up; I still get excited when it's meatloaf on the menu.
What is your motto?  Live, laugh, work and travel.
Which kitchen gadget do you use the most?  A steak knife.  As a long-time student, I didn't have the money for extras like vegetable peelers so I used knives from a free bank-offered 6 pack of knives.  Now that I have the gadgets, I often forget to use them!
The soundtrack to your life is?  Changes all the time.
Any last words?  I've enjoyed my first month with FFwD.  It's fun seeing the innovations others have made to the recipes-- they inspire me.  I appreciate the straightforward recipes from Dorie-- they make me feel more competent in the kitchen.  I'm having fun exploring the recipes-- they remind me of my other home (Paris) and they're fun to share with friends here in the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment