Sunday, January 23, 2011

French Table Recipes: Carrot Soup & Savory Swiss Chard Pancakes

In my Organic Produce box this week was Swiss chard and some very big carrots (like the size of a baseball, though both orange and yellow).  Mom wasn't particularly thrilled (the OP boxes make her anxious-- all those weird veggies) but I said that I'd check the cookbook (Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table) to find something.

The Carrot Soup was very tasty.  I expected it to be sweeter but it was quite savory.  I used rosemary, sage, thyme and ginger as the spices.  The hardest part was just the mise-en-place:  getting all the carrots peeled and sliced (I used a mandoline), chopping the onions, etc.  After that, it was just a matter of throwing things in the pot.

Swiss Chard pancakes:  Again, another easy recipe where the chopping was the only "hard" part.  The recipe blends onions, shallots, chives, garlic and Swiss chard in a basic pancake recipe.  Greenspan's book calls for 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil in the pan (to be patted dry with paper towels after cooking).  I found that, as the oil disappeared, the pancakes still browned nicely.  They did have a bit of a heavier fill, though.  These pancakes go well with soup.  I think they'd also be perfect with some cream cheese and smoked salmon (especially half dollar sized as an appetizer or party food).  They have a subtle savory flavor.  Mom broke up her pancakes and put them in the soup and found that the combination was very good.  I liked the green color-- pretty against the golden orange soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment